Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dual booting : Risk free introduction to FOSS world

If you are new to the world of FOSS and willing to experiment with FOSS operating systems, yet not like to forget everything about license OS, the best thing is to have a dual boot.

I have successfully done dual boots with Windows xp / PCLinuxOS, Windows xp / Fedora core and Windows xp / Red hat Linux. Yes what you think is correct, I have changes the linux OS but not the Windows xp. There are reasons for it.

1. As Linux OSs are free, I have the total freedom of switching them as a new version / OS is coming. But due to the huge cost involved, I did not change my windows xp for more than 5 years. still I'm not willing to spend / invest for Vista.

2. Windows xp is one of my favourite OSs. It is so nice. Well done Mr. Gates


Here I'm not going to teach you step by step how to install a dual boot. You can search the internet and can find any number of articles, tutorials, cheat sheets on them.

But will give you the very abc on them.

1. First install Windows xp

2. Install linux OS and select to use an unpartitioned free space or carefully select a partition which does not have your important data to be formatted. PCLinuxOS has a new facility so that you can resize windows partitions.

3. Be sure that in the bootloader, it has included windows in the OS list. Else you will lose windows.

Good luck

No comments: