Monday, October 20, 2008

Got a new PC

Ok now you are happy. You bought a new PC with much power than your old PC. Now a new issue is on your head. How can I get all the functionality which my OLD PC had to my new PC.

Few hints....

You cannot transfer operating systems between computers. The OS while installing gets lot of details of the computer and customizes itself to suit the particular machine. So you will have to install the OS in a fresh way to suit your new PC.

You can copy all your documents and other data like photos, videos from your old PC to new PC. I suggest using a flash (pen) drive or external hard disk or re-writable CD / DVD for the operation. It is possible to fix your old hard disk to your new PC and transfer data.

Remember I told you that you can transfer your data. But I'm afraid most of the programs; especially big ones; will not be transferable from one PC to another. MS-Office is a such program. You have to install then in the new PC. Most simple programs such as Abi-word can be transferred.


So my advice is

1. Use only one Windows XP
2. Transfer your data files to your new PC
3. Install computer programs which you need to use in the new PC

Then you can forget your old PC.

No comments: